Monday 27 June 2011

Wolf Guard Pack Leaders

Wolf Guard can be one of the more versatile units in the Space Wolves codex mostly because you can either have them as a squad or as pack leaders. 
I don't think I could do them enough justice in one article, that and it would be a pretty huge length of text.  I don't know about you, but that much writing is far too much to read.
So, I'm going to talk about Wolf Guard as pack leaders first, because they are what I most often use.

To do this, its probably best to take each of the units they can be attached to in turn.

Blood Claws/Grey Hunters
The first Wolf Guard I'm going to look at is for Blood Claws and Grey Hunters. Some of you may wonder why I've put these together.  That's because wolf guard fulfil much the same role in both squads.  They are there to add some extra close combat punch. 
Often this is through the addition of an extra power fist or a thunder hammer.  This is always useful because the power fists in the squads only get a few attacks (2 on the charge for Grey Hunters, 3 on the charge for Blood Claws).  The Wolf Guard gives you 3 extra power fist attacks on the charge, which really helps against most opponents. 
While power fists may be the preferred option, there are still plenty of worthwhile close combat weapons to give them.
Another thing to remember is the extra shooty stuff your Wolf Guard can take to help their squad.  Combi weapons of all sorts are amazing for this, I generally tend to make it the same special weapon that the squad has.
Out of the 2 squad types (Blood Claws and Grey Hunters) its the Grey Hunters that don't always need a Wolf Guard.  This is mostly because they are a fairly solid unit as they are and can take on most opponents.  I find that Blood Claws need a little extra support.  While it is nice to have +2 attacks on the charge, they do tend to need that little extra muscle that a Wolf Guard can give them.

Swiftclaw bikers
An expensive option for an expensive unit.  To be honest, this depends on whether or not you decide to take big squads or small squads.  If you take smaller squads, then its probably too much of a big investment. 
In a larger squad (5 or more models) I would definately recommend taking them.  The extra killing power of a Wolf Guard will help them significantly, allowing them a much greater chance of killing what they are aimed at.  Considering that Swiftclaws are a small and expensive combat unit, they do need all the help they can get really.

Wolf Scouts
Depends on what you're doing with the Scouts. 
Sniper scouts probably don't need a Wolf Guard as they will be too busy shooting things.  While Wolf Guard are ok at shooting (as good as any marine) they do a lot better getting stuck into combat in my opinion, much like most of the Space Wolves army list.
The next most common option I use is a unit deployed 'behind enemy lines'.  This unit will often go after tanks or heavy weapons squads.  For this Wolf Guard, the thunder hammer is definately my friend.  Not only does it have a good chance of beating up any infantry you are likely to find, it tends to do pretty well against tanks too.  Obviously, melta bombs do much the same tank killing job, but I prefer thunder hammers because not only do you get more attacks but they work on non-vehicles as well.

Long Fangs
To be honest, I don't much see the point unless you are trying to give the squad an extra wound.  I don't tend to see much reason to give Long Fangs a Wolf Guard because of the way I use my Long Fangs.  If I did use them, I would keep them relatively cheap.  If anyone has more luck with Wolf Guard in Long Fang packs, please let me know.  I would love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment